Kids.
I wish that I could say that I remember when I had the desire to stay up all night...pull an all-nighter...complete with TV and snacks.
But I don't.
In fact, when I think back on those almost all-nighters that I did in college, I want to throw up.
Because I remember the feeling of too much caffeine and not enough sleep...combined with the last-minute writing of some paper that was due by 8:00 in the morning.
Yuck.
Carrie and William's last request before school started up this week was to have an all-nighter. Of course, since Joshua knew that kindergarten was in his future, he jumped on board the "big boy" bus and went along for the ride. And would you be surprised if I told you that Matthew claimed his "big boyness" too?
So we decided that last Friday night would be the night.
A good night since there was nothing going on during the day on Saturday.
This would be the last chance since school would begin on Monday.
We took an afternoon trip (skipping Matthew's nap and Joshua's rest time was my way of guaranteeing that the littles would get some sleep) to Walmart to get snacks. They were told that they could each choose one to share, so they huddled in the middle aisle and coordinated their salty and sweet attack. The Mt. Dew was on me.
Here is what they chose....
Carrie: Taco Chips and Cheese
William: Ice Cream and Hershey's Chocolate
Joshua: Double Stuff Oreos
Matthew: Mint Oreos
We opened Matthew's Oreos early, because I knew that he would be asking for his bed and a "nice book" early on in the "whole-nighter," as he called it.
And I was right.
Matthew was in bed by 9:30 PM.
Josh fell asleep on the couch at about 8:45 or so and slept until I took Matthew to bed.
Surprisingly, the report was that Josh made it until 1:30 AM.
I guess that "snappy nappy" was just what he needed!
I'm not sure what time William lost the battle, but when I got up at 5:30 to make Paul's lunch and start the coffee, Carrie had just closed her eyes.
This is what I found three hours later...
William had made his way to the comfort of his own bed.
Smart boy.
And Matthew?
He emerged from his bed bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
And looking for leftover Oreos!
This is how Matthew eats Oreos.
He spins the top off, gives me the half without the cream, and eats the "good side."
That's O.K.
They taste pretty good with coffee.
Mmmm...
Silly boy.
Silly Mommy.
Silly Charlie.
This is one of the kids' favorite things to do during the summer.
They tell me to get my coffee and sit on the front porch while they play.
It's a pretty good gig...except that this summer presented itself with so many hot, muggy mornings!
I'm a wimp when it comes to the heat, so I didn't accomplish much porch-sittin' this summer.

Ahhh...
Good morning, Sunshine!
I know, Matthew! She is funny isn't she?
Carrie really isn't wanting to be out of "bed" so early, but one of Dad's requirements for pulling an all-nighter is that you don't sleep all day on Saturday.
Out of bed by 10:00 in order to be part of the family.

Joshua looks amazingly awake and refreshed!
I guess it's because his all-nighter wasn't as long as Carrie's.
The face of a boy who has joined the ranks of "Big Kid" and is proud of it!
Enjoying all-nighters (because I don't do them anymore!),










Fun Mama!!!!! Brave, too. :)
ReplyDelete