July 1, 2010.

I have no newborn pictures of her since we didn't even know of her existence until she was almost two months old.
Born to a mother who was an Australian Shepherd/ Lab mix and a father who was a Labrador, Charlie is 3/4 Lab and 1/4 Australian Shepherd. Which would explain why she tends to push the little boys around in the yard. I suppose she is herding them.
We received a call in late August from friends asking if we would be interested in taking one of the puppies that they had left.
My memory being what it is, I cannot remember how many brothers and sisters Charlie had when she was born, although I do remember there being a little chocolate brown puppy and a black puppy there when we went to look at Charlie.
I also remember being told that she was a very sick little puppy in those early weeks of life.
So sickly that it was a question as to whether she would live.
Would we consider taking her?
Oh! I was ready for a puppy! I was so ready. After all, they are so sweet and soft and furry. And that puppy breath!
I couldn't wait to see how the little boys would love on her.
And I couldn't wait to see what the big kids would say! They were on a trip to the Grand Canyon with Grandma and Grandpa, so this puppy would be a huge surprise!
I was ready!
I remember going over to our friends' house that evening and playing with the puppies and their momma.
Sweet little things.
Of course, we would consider taking her!
We decided to name her Charlie.
It's funny the feelings I experienced when we brought her home.
I remember feeling a lot like I felt when I brought a new baby home...like things would never be the same.
Overwhelmed.
But then Carrie and William came home and took over the mothering responsibilities.
All except getting up with her in the middle of the night.
Looking back, though, even that didn't last all that long.
That reminds me of my babies too. Those days seemed so long at the time, but they were over in moments.
And now, we are celebrating Charlie's first birthday...




And her "Gotcha Day"...September 6...the anniversary of the day that we brought Charlie home to live with us.
What a great dog she is.
Happy Birthday and Happy Gotcha Day, Charlie.
We love you!
Enjoying Puppy Love,





Oh my goodness! We had an Australian Shepherd/Lab mix growing up and she was literally the most amazing dog ever! She has been gone for 20 years and all of us kids still talk about her and think of her fondly! :)
ReplyDelete