Thursday, September 8, 2011

September Days

September.
My favorite month.

As a little girl, I probably would have told you that December was my favorite month...Christmas and all.

As a young adult, it was probably February.
Valentine's Day and my Sweetheart's birthday.

But now, as I mosey my way into the autumn time of my life, I find myself loving this month of September with its cooler days and its trips to the apple orchard.
Actually, I have always chosen fall as my favorite time of year, but just recently I have realized that September is the month that I anticipate most...and am really sad to see it fade away so quickly.

Our first trip to the apple orchard came during the heat of the July sunshine.
It was a very quick in and out trip to see if they had any zucchinis for sale.

This past Sunday was our first "real" trip.
I returned home after a quick trip to Walmart (don't be surprised) and decided that it was the perfect time for apple-choosing.  My plan was to just spend some time in the apple barn and to buy a bag of Jonathans for a pie.  Paul was the one who suggested that we pick our own.

I'm so happy that he did.
Oftentimes, it is Paul who slows me down and encourages me to enjoy life...rather than just crossing things off my list.

The kids do a pretty good job of helping me to slow down and enjoy too...


Carrie has a very creative eye.
She really enjoys taking beautiful pictures...because she sees the beauty surrounding her.


Matthew loves this picture of William!
He belly-laughs every time he see it.
Carrie reminded me that William has several pictures just like this one that he has posed for throughout the years.


That's not where the apple bags go!
You better get pickin' if you want pie!


Matthew looks a little suspicious of this apple...


"There's a good one!"


I think that William has grown two feet this summer.
His two feet have surely grown...size 13!
The combination of added height (ability to reach the best apples) and foot size (stability) has made him the supreme apple-picker this season.


Hold on...Dad is going for the title of Supreme Apple-Picker too.
Climbing skills rank you pretty close to the top.
I mean the top of the list as far as apple-pickers go...not the top of the tree.
Although, climbing the tree achieves both. 


More picture-taking and apple-picking.


And a little apple-tasting.


Beautiful Jonathans...


O.K. guys...humor your old mom...






As usual, Josh is assessing the situation...


He may be trying to figure out what these two are doing.
I think that there is some kind of friendly competition about to take place.


More apple-tasting.
I think that this is my favorite picture of the day.
I also think that if your name is Matthew and you have a cowlick, you need to always own a pair of cowboy boots.
And a pair of shorts.


Peek-a-boo!
Who are you hiding from?


Check out those purple highlights in the sun...


Say cheese!
Speaking of...have you ever had cheese and apple slices?
I've had peanut butter and apple slices but never cheese and apple slices.
Paul's grandpa used to salt his cheese and apple slices before eating them.


Have I mentioned how much I love the apple orchard?




I love this guy too.


And this one...


"Hey, Mom!  Check out these awesome Jedi moves!"




Are you eating another apple?!
Someone is going to have a tummy ache tonight.


Chestnuts are amazing!
I think that I may have as many pictures of chestnuts hanging on trees as I have pictures of William with  pumpkins in front of his face.


The first of several trips to the orchard this year.
It never gets old.
Unlike my kids who get older every year.
Is it really possible that these were taken just three years ago?




Just a reminder to enjoy every minute of these vapor-like lives of ours.

And to take plenty of pictures of chestnuts...


Enjoying every minute...and chestnuts,

No comments:

Post a Comment