Sunday, April 13, 2014

Third Time's a...Break?

 Six years ago on a Friday evening, just a few days before his new baby brother was born, Joshua broke his arm.  He was trying to get off a riding toy and caught himself with his right hand...which caused a break in his arm close to his elbow.  Broken arm #1.  But back then, we weren't counting.




Fast forward to October 2012.  We were enjoying fall campout at Potato Creek.  Josh was riding his bike when we heard him yell and cry.  His bike had skidded sideways and he had caught himself with his left hand...which caused a buckle break in his forearm.  Broken arm #2.  Maybe now we were counting.






Friday afternoon, we had just returned home after playing with friends all afternoon.  I don't think that Josh even came in the house because it was such a beautiful afternoon.  I went straight to the kitchen to make a chicken pot pie that I had been putting off all week, and Josh and Matthew went straight to their scooters.  It wasn't long before Matthew came to the door to tell me that Josh needed me.  As soon as I got out onto the porch, I could hear him crying.  He was pretty scuffed up, but it was his left arm that was hurting him the most.  We iced it and waited to see if the pain eased up at all, but when that didn't happen, we headed to the ER at the end of the road.  He doesn't remember catching himself with his arm, but the X-ray showed a green stick break.  Broken arm #3.


It's no fun having a broken arm, but friends make it all so much more bearable.  I'm thankful for the sweet prayers of a dear friend and the "just checking in" texts to see how we are all doing, asking if we need anything.  I'm thankful for surprise visits from best friends, complete with hugs and candy and some impromptu playtime outside...which was just the warm-up to "getting back in the saddle" that Joshua needed.  I'm thankful for handwritten notes from "G'ma" left on the handle bars of that bad scooter.

After a fall off a scooter, this verse from the Bible hits close to home...
"Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.  If one person falls, the other can reach out and help.  But someone who falls alone is in real trouble."  --Ecclesiastes 4: 9-10 (NLT)

I'm so thankful today for good friends who love us.



No comments:

Post a Comment