Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Our Favorite April Fool's Joke

Happy April Fool's Day!

Is that Fool's or Fools' or Fools?

There was the same confusion with President's Day...Presidents'? Presidents?

Now I'm not saying that the two days are connected in any other way than by where the apostrophe goes! Shame on you if you think I was suggesting anything. We respect our president.


Besides, if I really was trying to make any associations between the two days, I would start somewhere besides our current president...



Anyway, the shenanigans have already begun at our house this morning. The only problem is that everyone is ready and waiting--even Josh can tell that something is different today. We are all wearing our skeptical faces...






If you would ask Carrie and William, the very best April Fool's Joke ever was when we were visiting Hilton Head Island several years ago. We stayed in a condo for a week with Grandpa, Grandma, Great-Grandma (GG), Uncle Brian and Uncle Scott.

Just the day before, the kids had spotted an alligator not too far from our condo. Everyone would go out on the balcony pretty regularly to see if it had moved yet--it was so still we questioned whether it was real or not. GG and Grandma were very anxious to see it move.

Bright and early on the morning of April 1st, the kids were already conspiring. They stepped out on the balcony and yelled, "Hurry! Come see! The alligator is moving!" Grandma came running down the stairs to see the alligator finally move, only to be greeted by, "April Fool's Day!"

The kids loved it! And as you can imagine, the rest of the day was full of, "Your shoe is untied!" "You have a hole in your pants!" "Your zipper is down!"

So, here we go! I'm ready and waiting to be fooled today. And as "on-guard" as I can possibly be, I am way too gullible! There will be many moments today when I get to play the fool.

And, in case you were wondering, the alligator finally did move. On the very last day of our vacation! As William says, "It moved when we moved."

1 comment:

  1. Man...that's one holiday I ignore! I just feel so sorry for the person the joke is played on, that I can't have fun with it -- isn't that crazy?

    ReplyDelete