Grandma told Joshua a month or so ago that the next time he came and stayed the night with her, he could paint. He asked, "Blue paint?" She said, "Yes!" He said, "Paint a blue car?" She said, "Of course!" I heard it all. I'm imagining him sitting there at the table, painting a picture of a blue car--after all, every time that I sit down to color with him, he asks me to draw a car.
About a week later, I agreed to get out the blue paint so that he could paint a blue car. I had him all set up at the table...blue paint, paintbrush, and a blank piece of paper. Josh looks at the materials in front of him, picks up the paper, and says, "No need that." Then he proceeds to go to his car box, he picks out a car, and he brings it back to the table and says, "I paint blue car."
Oh! You see, I thought that he wanted to paint a blue car. I didn't realize that he wanted to paint a car blue! Word order makes all the difference.
Well, after some tears and lots of talking on my part, he decided that he would paint a blue car. Later that day, I shared this funny story with Judy (Grandma).
This past Friday I had a doctor's appointment. Guess what Grandma and Joshua did while I was away...
That's right! Josh got to paint a car blue! That car was actually a wooden car that Grandpa had made many years before for his little boys.
He also painted a beautiful card for me that said, "I love you!" signed by Joshua himself. Inspired by Grandma, I'm sure!
These pictures were taken in a room in Judy's basement that she calls her craft room. William is looking on lovingly at the table that, in his words, "...holds so many special memories."
A funny side note...Joshua did not want to wear this paint smock! I am thankful that he did!
No comments:
Post a Comment