Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Bunny Whisperer

We have an on-site Bunny Whisperer.
Her name is Carrie.
Here's how she realized her talent as Bunny Whisperer.

What a beautiful day to mow the yard in our part of the country. The temperature was an unseasonal 72 degrees with low humidity. I have always loved mowing the yard...I tell Paul that he has his Harley time and I have my Deere time.

In fact, someday I may get a tattoo proclaiming my love for my Deere.

O.K., so maybe that's just some big talk.

Anyway, I was thoroughly enjoying my mowing time yesterday when all of a sudden there was a flash of brown in front of my mower.

The Bunny!
I forgot about the bunny!

Thankfully he made it past the mower and under the blue spruce tree in the front yard. I continued to carefully mow past the tree...and there he was again!

This time, he stopped in the middle of the front yard, distracted by all the yummy clover. I stopped the mower and got within about 18 inches of the bunny. I crouched down and started talking to it. He had no intention of leaving that yummy clover he was nibbling on.

I called for Carrie several times. She and Josh came outside. I told Carrie that if I had a pair of gloves, I might try to pick him up. She found some of my gardening gloves and put them on (because picking up the bunny was really just some more big talk on my part).

Her first try was unsuccessful.
Oh, she succeeded in picking him up, but he jumped out of her hands and into that delicious ground cover in front of the house.

I climbed back on the mower and left her squatting down beside the ground cover, waiting patiently for him to let down his guard.

It didn't take long.
The next time I circled around, she had him.
Patience is a virtue...and, as Carrie found out, is rewarded!

Look at those long eyelashes!



Carrie is obviously in love...



We tried some carrots and lettuce, but he was a little too nervous to try any of it.





As much as we'd like to adopt Skippy (naming privileges went to Carrie), we decided that it would be best to "catch and release."



Lessons learned from this experience...
1. Drive slowly and pay attention while mowing the yard.
2. Be patient.
3. Clover in the yard is a good thing...no need for all those expensive lawn treatments.

And here's one that Paul shared with me that I've never heard.

4. Baby bunnies can be scared to death (#34).

Wow, Paul, I'd never heard that.

5. Paul never ceases to amaze me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh.....how right you are! NO need for expensive lawn treatments - bring on the wildlife!

    Good job Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rabbits can purr like cats?! I had no idea. Good link.

    What a neat experience! Good job Carrie!

    ReplyDelete