I love what the Easter Sunday pictures of the kids have become. They make me laugh. I used to try to get the perfect picture of the four of them together...and I still do try for at least one where they are all smiling and looking at the camera. And it gets a little easier as they get older and are less distracted by what is going on around them.
Wait. William blinked. Let's try again.
Oh! Good one!
One with Charlie? That never really works, but we'll give it a try...
Good job, Carrie. Keep telling the boys through clenched teeth to "schtand schtill and schmile!"
Even when Charlie appears to be charging!
Matthew was determined to stand still and smile...
Even after everyone else had given up.
Josh sees that the photo shoot is pretty much over.
Paul, me, and my cotton candy crocks.
I really didn't wear them to church.
One week later, April 27, was to be Matthew's baptism day. He had walked the aisle almost one year earlier as a fresh 5-year old and professed his faith in Christ. Paul and I decided to wait awhile for his baptism. We thought that it would be good for him to have another year of spiritual, emotional, and physical growth under his belt. And it was! He has grown in so many ways this year. He has reminded us often that he wants to be baptized, so the date was set. Sunday, April 27.
Just look at that sweet, fresh face! He was so excited that this was to be his special day. He told everyone about it and looked so forward to it!
Jeannie was there to help us get him dressed in his robe and give us warm fluffy towels.
Pastor John and Matthew had a lively conversation about Jesus, baptism, and the excitement of taking his first communion. Matthew is pretty excited about that. I love that each of my children have stood in this same place talking with Pastor John as he dressed in his waders and robe.
When it came time to go into the waters, Matthew realized that it was ice cold and he hesitated...
And then he decided that it was much too cold to go in. Pastor John shared with the congregation that the water heater had failed and that the water was very cold. The woman who was waiting to be baptized after Matthew volunteered to go first. After seeing her shiver and shake through her baptism, Matthew decided for certain that he would not be going in that morning...
...even after Pastor John lovingly volunteered to hold him. I am relieved that Matthew did not go in. William stuck his hand in the water later and said that it was very, very cold. Icy. I don't know what that would have done to a little 6-year old. I do know that Matthew was so disappointed. So sad. He sat in my arms and cried before getting dressed. He said, "I really wanted to get baptized today, but I was afraid of going in really cold water and holding my breath." I trust that the Holy Spirit was his Protector that morning. Now I pray that He will be his Comforter and Encourager.
After learning that a new heater is to be installed this week, Matthew cried and said that he doesn't think he is ready. That maybe he isn't old enough. That breaks my heart, and I've struggled all week with sadness. I struggled to even post these pictures, but a very dear friend reminded me that all of this is "what will be a piece of Matthew’s story." And that's why I blog. To tell our story so that our kids will remember.
And baptism? We're not pushing at all. We'll try out the warm water in the baptistry when the heater is tested, but we will wait for Matthew to decide that it's time again.
And this morning?
(Thursday, May 1...I'm posting this several days after writing it.)
Carrie is off to the doctor's office. She has a swollen, sore throat and some flu-like symptoms. I'm praying that she will feel much better as soon as possible so that she will be able to enjoy playing in her Senior Piano Recital on Sunday evening that she has looked so forward to.
William is sitting here waiting for Mr. Pope to come pick him up for his in-car driving instruction. After today he will have four of his six required lessons complete. Mr. Pope stopped in on Monday to tell me what a great driver William is. William reminds me that Mr. Pope hasn't had to use his passenger-side brake yet.
And Josh and Matty are playing with LEGOS...one of their favorite things to do. And I love it because they play so sweetly together. Most of the time. I love listening to their pretending and their interaction. And their singing....classical piano music. Go figure. Josh just said to Matthew, "I have a great idea!" And Matthew said, "You always have great ideas."
So, they will play until Mr. Pope gets here...or until they start arguing.


















No comments:
Post a Comment