Friday, June 11, 2010

On the Other Hand...

The Journey is like the Anticipation of counting down the days until Christmas.
The Destination is like Christmas Day.

Will it truly measure up to everything you thought it would be?
Will you be disappointed once you arrive?

You know, yesterday I said that it was the Journey...but let me tell you what.
The Destination is pretty amazing too!








Welcome to Koeler-Andrae State Park in Sheboygan, Wisconsin!

"Kohler-Andrae State Park in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, is the home of majestic sand dunes, miles of golden beach, shimmering blue Lake Michigan water, whispering pines, an abundance of wildlife, and recreational activities for everyone. Kohler-Andrae State Park is one of the last natural preserves along the Lake Michigan shore, and is open for everyone to explore and enjoy."

Everybody get out and stretch while Daddy checks us into the campground!










I think that one of the things I will always remember about this vacation is Joshua's first impression of Lake Michigan.

After we got the camper all set up, Paul asked if anyone would like to take a drive around the park to see if we could find the beach and see Lake Michigan.

By this time, the sun was setting.

The beach area that we happened upon had no dunes hiding it from the parking area. We parked the truck right at the edge of the sand and were able to look out on Lake Michigan.

I said, "Look, Josh! There's Lake Michigan!"

Josh looked and looked and finally said, "Where?! I don't see the lake!"

"It's right there. Right past the sand. See it?"

"No!! I can't see it! Where is it?!"

Finally, he realized that all the blue...as far as he could see...was lake and sky.

His experience with any body of water is that he can land on the other side.
We could tell from the big sigh that came from his little body that he was completely overwhelmed.





After that, everyone jumped out of the truck, threw off their shoes, and ran in the sand...the cold, cold sand!




Well...not everyone.
Matthew really couldn't figure out what we were doing.
He didn't take his shoes off until they were completely filled with sand.






Absolutely breathtaking.
I've been on Lake Michigan before, but I was almost as overwhelmed with the entire experience as Josh was.




It must have something to do with experiencing life through your child's eyes.

Oh...and the answers to the questions at the beginning of this post are "Yes!" and "No!!" respectively.


Enjoying the Journey,

1 comment:

  1. I got to see Lake Michigan a couple of years ago, and, coming from the plains of West Texas... I was blown away, like Josh, that I could not see the other side. Oceans being that big I could comprehend, lakes? Wow.
    And my kids all need shirts that say: "My mom rocks." LOL!

    ReplyDelete