Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Whatta Ham! and Various Unrelated Thoughts

Just so you know, I don't make it a regular practice of putting my children in roasters.

This one was Carrie's idea.

Paul took the roaster to work yesterday so that his department could warm up a Christmas ham for lunch. When he got home from work, I put the base part of the roaster on the island until I could wash the pan.

Carrie, getting tired of holding a wiggly Matthew, placed him in the roaster.

Look at Joshua checking Matthew out.

And look at the thing in Matthew's mouth. It's not really a pacifier. It's one of those little pop-out timers that you put in to see if he's done.



Now Joshua is saying, "Hey! I wanna try that!"
Matthew must be thinking, "Get back, Buddy. I'm not done yet! See my timer?"



Now Matthew is hiding so that his turn won't be cut short.



Sorry, Matthew.
It's Joshua's turn.



"Please! Just one more turn!"



Oh, Brothers!



How did I get Joshua out of the roaster? I threatened to tell him the story of "Hansel and Gretel."

No, not really. Carrie wouldn't let me.


Are you wondering how cookie-making went yesterday?
Here's Joshua. He was promoted from "panner" to "roller."



And here's what happens when you decide to roll your head instead of the cookie dough. That's powdered sugar.

Boy was he sweet!

And boy did he get "unpromoted."



Here's one of my favorite cookies from when I was a little girl.

My Aunt Shirley used to bring these special cookies to our Christmas Eve at Grandma Huff's house. They are called Candy Cane cookies--today I'll drizzle them with a powdered sugar and candy cane glaze. Yummy!



I only make one batch of these. I learned several years ago when I started making these cookies how time consuming they are to make.

Every year when I make these, I think about Aunt Shirley and all the work she did to bring these every year.

Aunt Shirley, I don't know if you read my blog or not, but if you do, thank you!! These are a very special memory from Christmas.

I love you!



So, there you have it. Yesterday at our house.

Today on the agenda is some house-cleaning, fudge-making, and present-wrapping.

Sounds a little too ambitious to me, but that's how I roll. Too much on the "to-do list" so that at the end of the day I think, "What did I do today?!"

One of these days, I'll learn.

You know what I'm happy about?
I'm happy that Paul's department didn't have a Christmas turkey. My blog title would have seemed a little mean if it had been turkey.

1 comment:

  1. My Memaw, still living, used to make those candy cane cookies...and I couldn't find the recipe for them when we were up there in Nov. Can I have the recipe? Memaw hasn't made them for years.
    Have a very merry CHRISTmas. All I want for Christmas..
    ~\0/~

    ReplyDelete