This is our Nativity.
Our Nativity was a gift from my cousin Stephanie and her husband Len several years ago. Len made the stable, and they started us out by giving us Joseph, Mary, and the Baby Jesus.
Stephanie wanted us to have this particular set because she remembered having them when she was growing up. What she loved about them was that they are very durable--which is important when you have young children. She remembered her little brother, Jon, hauling around the Baby Jesus in the backs of his toy trucks.
Through the years we have added a piece or two every year. One year the kids had lines in a play about a donkey and an ox. That year we bought the donkey and the ox. One year Carrie was an angel, so we added the angel.
In the past, I've always put the Nativity down on the floor where the kids can get to it to play with. But this year, I put it up on the table, thinking that it would be easier to see and get at--especially for Joshua.
Boy, was I ever right!
This year the Nativity has taken on a personality all its own.
Josh and I read a story about a crippled lamb named Joshua and an old cow named Abigail--you can see them standing behind the manger.
There is also a tall white duck that Joshua appropriately calls "Aflac" (located to the right of "Jophes").
And of course, there is "Baby Jejus."
I'm the mommy sheep over to the right standing behind the shepherd. Paul is the daddy sheep beside the shepherd.
And of course, what would a "barn" and the Holy Family be without their Hot Wheels?
And wouldn't it have been much more sensible for the Wise Men to just hitch a ride on the back of a Tonka tow truck?
Hey! Since the tow truck is already parked in front of the "barn," why not give the "Baby Jejus" a little slide down the back?
"Wheeeeee!"
Please don't think we're being sacrilegious.
Joshua is honestly learning the real, true meaning of Christmas.
And we can't help but enjoy the fun he's having.
Oh, and Steph, if you're reading this...you were right!
This set is extremely durable!
I think it's awsome! I wish we had a set like this! We are making do with a flannelgraph set, though. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is just awesome. I love your story of Joshua and the nativity set. Reminds me of when Jon hid baby Jesus one year. We searched everywhere for him that year and finally found him driving one of the Tonka trucks. I also love that Len made the stable to look just like the one dad made mom and then each of us kids. I set mine up every year. Nice to know there is a matching one in your house. :D
ReplyDeleteOMGosh...this post is so stinkin' funny...and I don't mean to be sacrilegious either but you are so right..it's so cool that he can get to the scene...and o the fun things he is getting to do. O my goodness...I hafta show this to my family! Jodi, thanks for making my day!
ReplyDeleteI love Jejus and Jophes...that is classic.
big hugs, LY