Thursday, May 1, 2008

"I Got a Broken Arm!"

Friday, April 18, 2008.
5:20 PM

Paul was giving our yard its first haircut of the spring. Joshua was riding on his green motorcycle. I was trying to find some green in my flower beds.

Paul said, "Hey, look!" There, in our ditch, was a duck! I told Joshua to come look at the duck. He stopped his motorcycle in the middle of the front yard. I told him that he needed to move it to the driveway so that Daddy could mow...then I turned my back to watch the duck.

"Dum, Dupid, Dinkin' Duck!"

The next think I know, Josh is on his back in the driveway crying. I went over and looked at him, wondering if I should pick him up. I asked him what hurt, and he said, "Nothin'," so I picked him up and took him down to see the duck. It had already flown away.

"Dum, Dupid, Dinkin' Duck!"

He continued to cry, so I took him up to the front porch and sat with him, asking him what hurt. He just kept telling me, "Nothin'."

It was when we got into the house and sat down that he said, "I don't wanna go to the doctor!" Then I knew that something hurt. He began holding his elbow, so I called the doctor and waited for the nurse to call me back. Meanwhile, Paul came in and checked out his elbow. He noticed swelling and a knot, so we decided to go ahead to the emergency room.

Here's the green motorcycle. Our best guess is that he was getting off of it and hooked his foot on the seat. He most likely threw out his right arm to catch himself.



After having his arm x-rayed, the doctor said that he thought there was a break at the elbow. His arm was immobilized for the weekend, and we were told to call the bone specialist on Monday.



On Monday morning, while I was in labor, Paul called the bone specialist. He was in surgery, so an appointment was made for Tuesday morning.

Paul, his mom, and Carrie and William took Josh to his early Tuesday morning appointment. He was re-x-rayed and told that he might not have a break in the elbow. Instead there might be a crack in the arm right above the wrist. He was put in a cast--blue, not pink ("I don't like pink.")--and told to come back in two weeks to have another x-ray. At that point they will decide whether to recast, put on a shorter cast, or not cast at all.

After he got his cast, he went shopping with Grandma. They were going out to find a special outfit for his new baby brother. Judy said that whenever someone would walk by them, he would say, "My arm is broken."

He has done amazingly well with his cast and isn't too anxious to get it off.

And he won't let anyone write on it!



Grandpa Les, my dad, recently had hand surgery. He and Josh had pictures taken of their injuries.



So, until next Tuesday, Josh is in a cast. He says that he doesn't want it off, but I think once he feels the freedom of not having a cast, he will change his mind.

And what do I think of ducks?

They are "dum, dupid and dinkin'!"

4 comments:

  1. awww, poor guy! and of course it was all perfect timing, between his injury and you going into labor... always seems to happen that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy. And poor YOU! Labor, broken arm...labor...broken arm. Worried about your little guy but welcoming your other little guy into the world. Sounds like you had a lot of support and now everyone's happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "dum, dupid, and dinkin'" what more can one say??? Love the story, hate that Josh is hurt. :0) Hope I get to see you this week...you'd think we're miles apart!!

    ReplyDelete