Thursday, March 6, 2008

It's a "Guy Thang"

Here he is. The boy who's hair gets so shaggy. Or should I say, "The boy who's mommy lets his hair get so shaggy!" Well, being way overdue for a haircut, Daddy decided that it was time that Josh join the men on a trip to the barber shop.

As you can probably tell, Mom got to go along to take pictures. I was a little nervous about entering the barber shop. I've never ever been in one. When I was in high school, my best friend's dad was the town barber. Even then, I never entered the barber shop. And I've seen how welcome women are in Floyd's Barber Shop on "Andy Griffith." So, I asked Paul if it was O.K. if Carrie and I went in or if there was some man code that kept us from going in. Paul just smiled and shook his head.



It's amazing what the barber shop does to a boy. Paul always told me that William would sit so still when he went to the barber. I had to see this one for myself. After all, I have taken Josh several times already to get his hair cut. He wiggles and squirms. He wimpers and puts his hands on his head. Well, I was amazed. He sat as still as could be, moving only to peek at William in the next chair.





William has been going to the barber with Paul since he was about Josh's age. Dave has always been his favorite barber, but he gave up the chair to Josh this time. All the boys had lots of hair to lose on this trip to the barber, but I think that William was the biggest loser this time. He went for a "short fade with no bangs"--whatever that is.




Josh got "a nice little boy cut--short around the ears." I still sit here in shock as I look at this picture. He let Dave use the clippers on him for most of the haircut! I think the only time he used scissors was to trim his bangs and around his ears. He sat completely still--as if he knew there was something really special about this haircut.


Josh is all done! And what spoils went home with the conquerer? One cherry Dum Dum, one piece of Dubble Bubble, a handful of Chicklets and the Certificate of Manhood, signed and dated by Dave, along with a tissue square full of hair from his first trip to the barber shop. And you wonder why guys keep going back to the barber!




And here's William! A look of complete relief is on his face. You can just imagine that he must feel so much better now that his hair has been cut. I think, too, that he was pretty excited to be able to show the barber shop to his mom and sister.


And last, but not least, here's Paul getting his hair done--wait--I don't think guys say that their hair was "done." Here's Paul getting his hair cut! He wasn't as excited about getting his picture taken--I even think that Dave ribbed him a little about it--but as I tell him, someday you and the kids will be really happy for these pictures! O.K. Someday the kids will be really happy for these pictures!

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh...nothing cuter than a little boy with a hair cut!

    But where is Paul's after-shot?

    Prince Charming uses a flow-by. Seriously. Right from the commericals. He really does! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking us along. I always wondered about those places. I think it's were spies hang out and discuss their secret missions. Smooch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great! I think it's really funny that you had never been into a barber!! I'm like Lucy, I'm just too curious. I always got "the looks" from guys, like I was intruding on the "man" space. But like Lucy, I pretended to be totally oblivious!! Great story and great pics! BTW, I'm home;0).

    ReplyDelete