Friday, February 22, 2008

Coming Clean


I have always thought of myself as safe. I don't take huge risks. I am protective of my family. I think about the outcome before trying something new. Safe. Some might even say boring. I'm beginning to wonder, though, if in my case, I'm not just scared. Maybe a tad bit overprotective. A pessimist even.

I think that this part of myself has become even more pronounced since I've had kids. I remember that when my daughter was very small, Oprah was having a photo contest featuring kids. I wouldn't have anything to do with it, because in order to enter, I had to put her name, address and phone number on the back of the picture. I worried that the photo would get into the wrong hands.

When I had the kids' pictures taken, I never signed permission for the photos to be used for advertising purposes. You can imagine my surprise when I received a postcard from a local photographer that had a beautiful black and white picture of my daughter on the front! When I took the postcard out of the mailbox and saw her picture, I was so shocked that I thought the photographer must have personalized everyones' postcards on his mailing list. It took me the whole walk back up to the house to realize that this couldn't be the case. Nothing much came out of this incident--except several days when I was a nervous wreck, wondering who would come after my daughter. Pretty sad, huh?

Knowing that, you can only imagine how insecure I've been since having cable TV and internet access in our home. For the most part, instead of seeing the positives, I see the negative stuff that's out there--and what could get to my family.

I know that it's my responsibility to protect my family. It's right for me to be protective. I also know that in life there has to be balance. God wants me to be joyful! He doesn't want me to concerned about things to the point of being a worried, nervous wreck. I know where the fear comes from--which makes me even more frustrated when I give in to it. The enemy of my soul wants nothing more than to see me distracted by all of that. But, as you can see, I am overprotective, with a hint of paranoid.

That's why I am coming clean with you. When Nicky helped me set up this blog a week ago, I knew that there was no way I was going to use my kids' names. Using mine was one thing, but using theirs? No way! And pictures?! I don't know about that! But how much fun is it just to read my ramblings without the faces and images to go with them? I want my family and friends to see what we've been up to. I want those who don't get to see us very often to have a way to keep up with what we're doing. I want posting a blog to be simple. Do you know how many times I have to stop and think what internet nicknames I've given my kids before I can actually write about them?



So, with their permission, I am going to reintroduce you to my kids. Meet Carrie (CareBear), William (Tim) and Joshua (Little Guy). I know that this is a totally personal decision. I've read lot of blogs lately--some choose to use nicknames, some choose to use real names. I think that we all choose the way that best fits our siuations and is the most comfortable. In my case, I was being driven by fear. I am choosing to not let fear control me anymore.

Maybe I'm turning over a new leaf! What a relief that would be!

4 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you are feeling/thinking. It took me some time to come to terms with my blog and the whole picture/name thing. BUT, I will have to say that I'm careful about other blogs I look at and post on (really, I am). I stick to gardening blogs and homeschool moms -- two of the nicest groups of people you would want to meet. I don't use last names, nor specific cities, locals, etc.

    I also defined my blog in my mind - I decided that my main purpose with my blog is, since I don't have a creative scrapbooking bone in my body, to create a cyberspace scrapbook...a place to log memories and fun times. The older my kids get, the less I remember. I just found a picture from the very first American Girl trip...I didn't even recognize my daugher! She has changed so much. As the days creep by, one after another, I feel this urge to hold on to the moment and enjoy them as much as possible.

    So, there you have it. Sorry to write a book on your blog!

    Joshua is adorable by the way! Well, they all are, but I've never met Joshua.

    Have a good weekend.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if this is the best place to leave a comment to a comment or not, but here goes.

    Thank you so much, Sherry, for all you said. It has helped me to really think through this blogging adventure. I, too, have trouble remembering the things that I think should be simple things to remember. I've tried scrapbooking and journaling by hand and on Word. I haven't stuck with any of them.

    Blogging is so much fun, and I have found that the kids enjoy reading what I've written. My brother is even following my blog and surprising me when he asks about things that I didn't know I had already told him. :)

    My question to you...Do you print out your blog in order to have a keepsake or do you depend on the archives?

    Thanks so much, Sherry! It's so nice to be back in touch with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jody, I don't print it out because there are publishers who will do that for you. You submit your blog to them, they'll print it, make it into a beautiful book and send it to you. So easy (I won't lie, it's expensive too, but not if you think about how much money in scrapbooking paper, doo-dads, and time!). My kids have blogs too by the way...It's a great way to encourage them to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder I love this blog thing so much. I didn't know there were publishers of blogs....oh, my mind is a turning..do tell where do you find those publishers?? I know I'm on vacation, but Patrick is zonked out after the day at the beach and I'm waiting on Jeff to return from his conference. We have dinner waiting with my aunt and uncle. toodles;0) sunshine really does help however, they say Thursday the low is {gasp!} 38. I love this time of year in FA!

    ReplyDelete