We have been doing some major house-clearing this summer.
Clearing out drawers.
Clearing out cabinets.
Clearing out shelves.
Clearing out all the excess.
One. Thing. At. A. Time.
It was Matthew's turn to look through his drawers.
I asked him to empty his "Lucky Drawer"
and his "Special Drawer."
After doing this, I told him to make three piles...
Throw Away
Garage Sale
Keep
(Yeah...I've seen "Clean Sweep" once or twice.)
Here are his "keep" items.
I saw them sitting there on the table, and I got a little teary.
How precious to be able to get a glimpse
into an 8-year old's heart...
to see what he sees as keepable.
Pocket knives from Dad, marbles, a mood ring, a wooden snake, Batman, a pet rock, a dog figurine from Rentown,
a huge plastic paper clip, St. Patrick's Day pins, a basket from Grandma, survival bracelets from Josh, a homemade controller thingy that he made with William, a head light, a magnet ice cream scoop from GG, a water bomb ball, shoelaces,
a magnifying glass, Joe's dagger, sunglasses from Grandma's eye doctor, and Bill's pink paper violin.
Each item has meaning.
Each item is special to that 8-year old boy in some way.
And you find that when it has meaning
to someone you love,
it has meaning to you too.
No comments:
Post a Comment