Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Oh Happy Day!

One of the best things ever happened in our family this summer.
I say one of the best, because it has happened twice before...the same, but different.

On Tuesday, July 19, Joshua asked Jesus to live in his heart!
What makes for a happier momma than that?

It's been a little while coming for Josh.
He had been asking questions and had even told me a couple of times that he thought that he was ready to have Jesus live in his heart.

Have I mentioned before that I suffer from perfectionism and insecurity?
If not, then I do.
I tend to not jump in and try things...or do things...if I am unsure that I can do them just so or at all.
Either that, or I have to think it through in my mind over and over again, add in a little research, and then go when I feel secure.

Sadly enough, that is what has happened each time my children have expressed an interest in giving their lives to Jesus.

I hesitated about asking Josh if he would like to pray and ask Jesus into his heart.
I hesitated because I was afraid that I would leave something really important out.
That I would somehow mess up and not do it right.

I prayed about it, knowing that my fears were silly.
After all, none of it is about me. It's something that is totally between Josh and God.

So, God caught me off guard.
I was playing Candy Land with Josh early one morning before anyone else was awake.
Josh doesn't like to lose, so having me all the way up with Queen Frostine while he was hangin' with Jolly did not make him very happy.
He kept asking me to trade places with him.

I think that some people are born with a "teacher gene."
Every moment becomes a "teachable moment."
I have that "teacher gene"...along with a healthy dose of competitiveness.
This was the perfect opportunity to teach Josh about what it means to be a poor loser and how we can celebrate with our friends...and our moms...when they win.
Which, by the looks of this game, I was going to be the winner.

Suddenly, mid-sentence, the True Teacher, the One in whose image I am created, spoke to me.
What a Teacher He is.
I knew that I was supposed to trade places with Josh.
And not only trade places, but to tell him about how Jesus traded places with us by going to the cross.
I can't even tell you what I said, because I know that Someone greater had the words that Josh needed to hear.
I was just the mouth.

Josh was thrilled when he crossed over into the Candy Castle with King Kandy.
"And someday, we will cross over into Heaven and be with our True King!"

I asked Josh if he would like to pray and ask Jesus into his heart.
He nodded and put his head down on my shoulder.
We prayed.
When we were finished, Josh lifted his head and was all teary-eyed.
I told him, "See? Jesus knocked on the door of your heart, and you answered!"
Josh nodded again...more tears.

Then he asked if he could go watch TV.

The following Sunday, Josh made his public profession during the Invitation.

Three weeks later, on Sunday, August 14--his 6th birthday!--Josh was baptized!

Here's Josh, sitting in the room upstairs behind the baptismal, waiting to get dressed in his robe and his Lego Star Wars swim trunks.



Josh and his extremely happy Mom...



I wasn't sure if Josh was nervous or not.
I always hate asking the kids if they are nervous before they do something big, so I usually don't ask.
Then Josh asked me a question, "Mommy? Will I still go to Heaven even if I don't get baptized?"
Again, the Holy Spirit gave words to this very emotional momma.
"Yes, Sweetie, you will. But remember how Pastor John told you that asking Jesus into your heart makes him the Lord--the King-- of your life? And how now you will do your best to always obey Him? Well, Jesus tells us to be baptized so that other people can see what decision we have made. This is a great first way to obey Jesus!"
"O.K.," Josh says a little unenthusiastically.
Not exactly what he was looking for.

"Are you nervous?"
"Uh huh."



I told him how nervous I was when I got baptized.
I was baptized as a baby in the Methodist church.
But that wasn't when I got nervous.
It was when I was 26 years old. I joined the Baptist church where we attend now. It is the church where Paul grew up and gave his life to Jesus. I was baptized as an adult in December of 1994.
Wow. That was a long time ago.
But I still remember how nervous I was.

It helped for Josh to talk about it.
Then he was ready to get all robed up!



This picture was taken by Pastor John.
He had a vision of Josh's profile against the white wall, but my flash went off.



My good friend, Kari, came in and asked if I would like her to take pictures for me.
Would I ever?!
How wonderful to be able to just enjoy Josh's baptism and not have to worry about flash or no flash?
Kari is an excellent photographer. She was able to capture the vision that Pastor John had.



Sweet boy.



After a prayer with Pastor John and our deacon, Kari's brother, Kenny, we made our way to the hallway behind the baptismal.
Pastor John always dresses in his fishing waders and his white robe.
This is a picture of Pastor John that I took in 2002 when Carrie was baptized. I love this picture!
Back when Carrie was baptized, my dad laughed and said, "She's got something in common with Jesus! She's being baptized by John the Baptist!"
We like to talk about that every time we celebrate a baptism.



Off to the water we go...



Pat, pat, pat...



Pastor John offered Josh his hand, but he walked all the way into the water without holding on.
That is so like Joshua. Very independent.



Pastor John introduces Joshua and talks about the decision that he has made.









Joshua, have you asked Jesus into your heart and indeed asked Him to be the Lord of your life?



"Uh huh. Yep."



Joshua, it is because of your profession of faith...



and the divine command of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ...



that I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.








AMEN!

Thank you to another good friend, Kellie, for sending me these pictures from another perspective...one that I haven't seen with my own kids!
I love these pictures!







Here's Joshua, full of smiles and relief, as he plays with the key chain that Grandma and Grandpa gave him...a Jesus fish.
He has learned to spell the name of the One he loves the most with this key chain.

How do I know that Josh loves Jesus more than anyone else?
He told me so.
"Mom, I love Jesus more than I love you. That's O.K., right?"
DEFINITELY!!



Later in the evening, Josh said to me, "Matthew's next!"

I think that Matthew is going to have his own personal evangelist!



Enjoying the really monumental, super-special, all-important, life-changing things,

2 comments:

  1. Jodi! Thank you so much for sharing this! I missed it that day but am so grateful for the pictures and your description! I know you are so proud of him! What a great boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a good Momma you are. I love the pictures and sad that we missed it.The look on Matthew's face is classic :)

    ReplyDelete