Every time I make muffins using a Betty Crocker mix (You didn't think they were homemade, did you? Oh my, no!), I come to my last muffin paper and have only 2 scoops to feed it. It takes three scoops to make it 2/3 full like the box says, but I always come up one short on the last muffin.
Always.
Then the choice is to...
1) take a spoon and share a little batter from each of the other eleven muffins with that sad twelfth muffin
2) take the batter from the twelfth muffin and divvy it out to the other eleven muffins...then add water to the twelfth muffin spot (something I read somewhere that you are supposed to do if you don't fill all of your muffin spots--something to do with equal distribution of heat or whatever)
3) don't worry about it and take what I get...probably a short, hard muffin which will be mine, since I am the one who either didn't divide properly or didn't scrape the bowl sufficiently
Isn't it funny how muffin tops look like turtle shells as they are rising in the oven.
Oh!
It just dawned on me that I forgot to post the second half of my turtle story before I went to bed last night!
What I consider the best part of the story!
Ah...there are many things that I forget to do before I go to bed.
If you know me, you know that I am a true morning person.
Which you would never figure out by reading the blog posts that I write in the morning.
We knew that we couldn't leave the turtle, deemed Teddy the Turtle, in our yard.
Eventually, Teddy would end up flipped over and tortured by Charlie, or Charlie would end up with a pierced tongue.
I'm making bets on the tongue-piercing.
William grabbed the keys to the truck, we shut the lid of the cardboard box so that Teddy couldn't climb out (he was trying!), and we headed toward the big pond in the neighborhood behind our home.
I wish that I had taken my camera, Carrie, and the little boys with us.
I am so sorry that I don't have pictures of what happened next.
We found a "just right" spot next to a tree and opened the box.
Teddy started walking toward the road.
Walking...is that what turtles do?
It doesn't sound right.
Meandering?
Teddy started meandering toward the road.
Better.
Not perfect...but better.
I picked him up--he hissed at me again--and I turned him around toward the pond.
He took a few steps...stopped...stretched his long beautiful neck...looked to the left and to the right...and then meandered at a very rapid pace straight toward the pond!
Because it has been so dry, there was a little beach area beside the water.
Teddy skipped right over the beach and went right into the water, leaving a mud swish in his wake.
O.K., so he didn't skip. I mean that he didn't stop at the beach. At all. He skipped it.
As he went underwater toward the middle of the pond, William and I saw some really long fish swim by.
Creepy.
Cool...but creepy.
No camera.
Doggone it!
You would think I would know better than to leave my camera behind.
One of these days, I am going to take my camera over to that pond and take a picture.
It is a beautiful pond for a beautiful turtle.
Keeping Teddy as a pet was a temptation.
It always is when we find stray frogs or skinks or anything...except snakes.
The temptation I deal with when I find a snake is to knock it senseless with my garden hoe.
If the garden hoe is within reach, I always give in to that temptation.
Sorry animal lovers.
I don't consider snakes to be animals.
No legs...not an animal.
Don't try to argue with me on this one.
I'm deaf.
Being a homeschool mom, I always think that having an animal to observe would be very cool.
But I can't get over the guilt of taking an animal out of his natural habitat and forcing him into the box with four glass walls.
Maybe if Teddy had never known freedom, it would be different.
Maybe not.
Hmmmm...there's a great homeschool lesson in itself.
Is freedom only freedom if you've experienced it personally?
Do you truly know freedom if you've only been in bondage?
Sorry...too deep for my one cup of coffee brain.
While I go fill up my mug, I will leave you with this.
My favorite kind of turtle is not really the free kind...
Enjoying the sweet things,
No comments:
Post a Comment