Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tot School--"The Days of the Week"

Tot School
**Josh is 46 months old...a very proud 3 1/2 if you ask him!**
**Matthew has now entered "Tot-Schooler." He is 14 months old.**

For Valentine's Day each year, we do a very simple treasure hunt. It has to be simple, because all of the clues are hidden in the house somewhere.

At the end of the hunt lies the treasure...usually a cardboard box filled with stuff. Stuff like their favorite breakfast cereal, some chocolates, a small toy...

This year, I found water bottles at Walgreens. The red water bottles were filled with stuff. Stuff like Kleenex, hand sanitizer in a tube, and these nifty little pill boxes.




I decided that since I am so bad about remembering whether I give the kids their vitamins each day, I would store the vitamins in these little pill boxes. They have helped my memory tremendously!

And the added bonus?
Josh has learned the days of the week!

Talk about "accidental teaching" on my part.
Josh's teaching, though, is a little more purposeful...



Just this morning, I sang the "Days of the Week" song with Josh before giving him his vitamin, and he said, "Are we going to Blake's house today?"
He right!
This is the day that the big kids usually have piano lessons, and Josh gets to play with our piano teacher's son, Blake.

He's putting it all together!
Don't you just love it when little ones start making sense of their world?!
It's so exciting!
This is just one of the many reasons that I am thankful that God called us to homeschool. I get to be present to see that light turn on...and then am able to share how good God is.

He is so good!

3 comments:

  1. I love the pill container thing...what a great natural teaching moment!!! I should get one of those ;)
    Carisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew ended on the same note Joshua did. What an ear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you! I love seeing the lights turn on! My son usually asks me 'what day is it' and even I have to think. I think that's a product of homeschooling and not having too many demands outside of our home on our time. Your pill box idea could help us all! Teach my 4 yr old the days AND keep my 7 yr old up on what day it is.

    ReplyDelete