Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day at Our House

Let's have a one-day garage sale on Labor Day!



That's what we're doing today. Garage sales always sound good when first mentioned. But I forget how much work is involved in preparing for a garage sale. Everytime we have one, I say, "Never again!" Then, before you know it, we've accumulated things for a garage sale.

The kids love sale day. It is fun, once everything is out and priced (Oh! The pricing!). Donuts for breakfast, sitting around visiting with Grandma and Grandpa (Thanks, Ron and Judy, for all your help!), interesting people to watch...



I can't really complain. Paul and the big kids did most of the set up work. I helped price a little, but mostly I kept Matthew happy. Today, I'm getting school things organized. I really didn't take the time to do that before we began school a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, back to the sale.

If you remember, back in the early part of the year, we gutted the kids' rooms. The promise was that if they cleaned out their rooms, we would have a garage sale, and they could make some money.

I think I also mentioned that I'm kind of sentimental--that's why Paul took charge of the "gutting of the rooms" project.

So, here I am last night, going through all the things that have been put in boxes for the garage sale. Some of those things were mine when I was a little girl. Through the years, I have given them to Carrie. Why did I give them to Carrie? So I wouldn't have to part with them.

Well, the day for goodbye has come.

Goodbye Raggedy Ann that my grandma gave me and made the dress for and had my Great Great Aunt Polly replace the hair on two times.



Goodbye, Tigger, who I cried for (very loudly, I might add) in the middle of a Sears aisle and my mom told me, "No" dragging me from the store and the same Tigger that ended up under my Christmas tree that year.



Goodbye handmade by a lady from my hometown Cabbage Patch doll that was from my mom and was supposed to be the last doll I ever got but my grandma had the same idea that Christmas and gave me "my last doll" when we went to their house in the afternoon.



Pictures seem to help me let go. I'm able to take a picture and know that it will be something that I will remember forever--even if I don't have it anymore. It's the same with the kids' school projects. We hang on to them for awhile and then take pictures of them before parting with them.

Here's an example...Carrie's shoebox pioneer home dioramma:



And what is Josh doing today?




He's having a ball! He's trying on dress-up clothes, playing with for-sale items, and putting claim on things that he just has to keep. Things that will one day make it back out to the driveway for another sale.

Unless Matty gets ahold of them.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you let Raggedy go! Someday I will learn from you the photo thing, but I'm not sure 20 60gal tubs of fabric will be as useful in a picture!
    Love the men hangin' out together! The donuts sound good. I told Dan I don't do too well on my diet when he is home, but I also don't mind! ;o)
    Hope the sale was a success, we would have stopped by before we went to the Eiteljorg for the $1 admission day.... BUT...
    We got there and I spilled my coffee on me, so we went all the way back home to change, and then BACK! Did you know we get a free 1 year teachers membership? I made up a scavenger hunt for the kids, fun.
    The loud noises were cherry bombs the teenagers thought would be funny. They weren't, they scared my dogs!!
    Everyone else was fine.
    God is good!
    3lw
    ~ \o/ ~
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! I LOVE having a garage sale! No housework for a day, supper out, and people giving me $$ for junk I don't want. Fun! Fun! Fun!
    I could not have gotten rid of Raggedy Ann, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are having another garage sale in October - althhough it is a pain to organize and set up, I love getting rid of old stuff. I want to get rid of some toys that the kids don't really play with, but I am not sure how well that will go over...
    I think I have the same Tigger. Emmy now claims him as her own. :)

    ReplyDelete