Friday, February 12, 2016

Oh! Valentine's Day!

Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays!
I'm just not really sure what makes it a favorite.  

Maybe it's the colors.  Pink and red and white are so pretty and cheery...especially when they are displayed in marshmallowy, Krispy, buttery goodness.

                              

Maybe it's all the hearts and love and sparkles and glitter.  
I really love that stuff.  It adds light to cold, wintry days.


Maybe it's being able to count cookie-making and crafting and reading Valentine's Day books as a school day.  Or two.


For the past two years, I have decided not to make Christmas cut-out cookies.  There are so many other Christmas goodies to make.  And to be honest, even though these cookies aren't difficult to make, they are hard.  There are so many steps.  Make the cookie dough.  Refrigerate the cookie dough.  Roll out the cookie dough.  Cut the cookie dough.  Bake the cookies.  Cool the cookies.  Frost and decorate the cookies.  All before they can be eaten!  And the clean-up!  Yikes!

To get out of having to make Christmas cookies, I have told the kids that we will make them on Valentine's Day instead.  Last year I dropped the ball and forgot.  This year I remembered.  I enjoy making Valentine's Day cookies so much more than making Christmas cookies.


And did I mention how pretty Valentine's Day colors are?


I can't complain too much about all the time it takes to decorate cookies, because there really aren't always that many cookies to decorate when you have a 7-year old helper. The dough scraps just seem to disappear before I can get the dough rolled out again.


And naked cookies are pretty good.  Not as pretty and sugary sweet, but good and not as messy.


I just had William pull out the February box yesterday.  I try to get it out at the beginning of the month, because it has all the February books in it...including the Groundhog Day books.  But I usually forget to get everything out until after February 2nd.  And this year, I'm especially late.  But the red lights and sparkly garland is in the front window, and the books are ready to read.  I'm perusing Pinterest this morning for some fun craft ideas, and as I do that I realize again that I love the idea of doing crafts with the kids, but it's not my favorite.  I'm thankful that Grandma likes to do art and crafty projects with the boys.  I am not gifted in this area, but she sure is.

Valentine's Day has snuck up on me this year, but I guess we really don't need books, lights, and cookies to celebrate love.  We need the constant reassurance that Jesus is Lord, has died for our sins, and has risen so that we may die to our sins and live!  That's the real celebration of love!

Jesus loves me, this I know.
Jesus knows me, this I love.

Happy Valentine's Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment