Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Laughing's My Favorite

Each of my kids has a pretty unique sense of humor, and yet they share some common qualities.  And even more fun...they all "get" each other;  they are funny corporately and individually.

They were funny as little kids, but I've noticed that as they get older, their humor gets more advanced.

Matthew is still in the funny little kid stage, but I can see him moving into the more advanced category of humor like his older sister and brothers.

He got a little stuffed hamster for Christmas that he has named Waffles.  It has been so cold here lately, so Matthew decided that Waffles needs a sweater.  He took one of his black socks and asked me to cut off the top and put arm holes in it.  The perfect turtle-neck sweater for Waffles.


A paper plate and a drinking cup?
"Snackeez!"
Sometimes Most of the time it takes me a little while to figure out the kids' humor...especially the boys' humor.  They are a little more dry.  The Snackeez reference was one that I didn't get immediately.  Plate on a cup.  Oooooooh!  Now I get it!


And sometimes it's not meant to be humorous.
It's just the way he looks at the world.

We were on our way to basketball practice a couple of weeks ago, and we passed by the local lumber showroom turned fitness center.  There are big windows upstairs and downstairs on the building, so you can get a glimpse of the exercise equipment...or the aerobics classes that are taking place.  That evening, there was an aerobics class in progress.  Matthew saw the people involved and asked, "Why do those people have to take jumping lessons?"

Why would you have to take jumping lessons?  It's all in how you look at things.

So...do you laugh when they don't mean it to be funny?
I do.  And Matthew is the type of kid who doesn't mind.  He laughs along.

Over the weekend, Paul, Matthew, and I were sitting on the couch watching TV.  Matthew stood up to get a toy that was close-by, and as he stood up he announced in a frustrated tone, "I have to pull down my underpants sleeves!"  I looked at Paul, laughing, and asked if he could guess what kind of underwear he was wearing.

I guess boxers do have underpants sleeves.  It's all in how you look at things.


Not all things are funny.
This has been a month of the smashed toe...


and breathing treatments...


But laughing, and inviting everyone to laugh with him, is definitely his favorite.







One more.
I promise...just one more.

Last night he was trying to say "depth perception."

Here's how it went...

     "Death perception."
     "Depth procession!"

You can see where this is going, right?

     "Death procession!!"

The great thing about Matthew is that he knows how to laugh.
Even at himself.


1 comment:

  1. I was so excited when I just decided to check your blog today. Haven't for a very long time and here was a bunch of Matthew faces looking at me. Loved the blog on Matthew humor. G'Ma

    ReplyDelete