Friday, August 9, 2013

Crochet Party!

Some very good friends invited Carrie to their home on Thursday afternoon for lunch and crocheting.
Sweet Carrie asked me to come along, knowing that I've really wanted to learn to crochet, 
but it just hasn't made any sense to me.

The Overtons are such a lovely family!
So, so inviting!

Carrie was going to have to leave early to go to work, so Heather, our hostess and teacher, told us to come early so that we could choose our yarn 
and get started on our blanket.

Did I mention that we are making blankets 
to give away to babies?
Heather has been crocheting hats and booties 
for babies in need.
She thought it would be really neat to teach us to crochet so that we could give our first blanket to 
a baby who needs one.

Here is the color of yarn that Carrie chose 
and the center of her blanket.


Here is a special Rachael Ray drink 
that Heather made called "Sunrise Fizz."
Did I also mention what amazing hostesses 
these women are?


Here is the color I chose.
I can't tell you how excited I was 
to learn to make Granny Squares!
I remember the basket that sat next to Grandma Huff's chair in her living, full of Granny Squares!
That is one of those things I wish I would have 
learned from Grandma.
I've tried to learn to make them before 
but with no success.
I guess it just takes a good teacher!


After getting our blankets off to 
a good start, we had lunch.

Beautiful!


Heather told us that Martha Stewart recommends serving chicken salad on a slice of zucchini bread, so Heather served homemade chicken salad 
and zucchini bread...
along with artichoke dip and veggies from their garden.

I was a little nervous about artichoke dip, but WOW!


Here is our lovely hostess and teacher, Heather.


And here is my blanket after an evening at home!
I'm so thankful that Carrie is such a fast learner and retains so much of what she learns.
I've had plenty of questions, and she has been able to say, "Heather said..."


Here's Carrie giving her baby blanket some attention.


The colors of her blanket are gorgeous, 
and her stitches are beautiful!


A friend told me not too long ago about 
a prayer shawl that she was making.
She said that all the while she was crocheting it, she was praying for the person who would receive it.
How amazing is that?
So we are praying as we stitch for the babies 
who will receive these blankets.


Enjoying doing girly stuff with my girl,

No comments:

Post a Comment