This boy.
At 10 months old, we took Matthew to the ER down the road for what we thought was croup.
After several hours of not being able to get his breathing under control, they sent us by ambulance to
Riley Hospital for Children.
We stayed there two days before they felt
comfortable releasing Matthew.
Since then, we've had some scary moments when his breathing would get labored and, depending on if it were day or night (or Thanksgiving), we would go to the doctor's office or the emergency room.
More breathing treatments.
Finally, the doctor said that this might be asthma.
Not saying for sure...but might be.
They sent us home with a nebulizer machine, Budesonide, and Albuterol.
We never go far without his machine...just in case.
I know that I'm supposed to use the Albuterol for emergencies to get him opened up.
May I say "finally" again?
Finally, after visiting the doctor's office last Friday, I told our doctor how frustrated I am--and how frightened--to not know exactly what I should be doing
to help Matthew.
Oh. Would you like to meet with our
Pulmonary Practitioner?
Seriously?
You have someone here who could
educate me on this?
YES!
FINALLY!
Yesterday we met with the Pulmonary Practitioner.
She looked at him and said, "Oh! An allergists dream patient! He has shiners (dark circles under his eyes)
and a nasal crease!"
His Grandma and Great-Grandma have noticed the nasal crease and have commented on his "allergy salute."
We now have an Action Plan for Matthew and very clear instructions on what to give when.
Now Matthew is taking Claritin every evening
and Flovent twice a day.
He is not one of those obvious allergy/asthma patients.
For that I am thankful.
He is now under the care of someone who specializes in allergies and asthma.
For that I am thankful.
He is young.
For that I am thankful.
In this case "too much information" was
just what I needed.
Relieved and very thankful,
No comments:
Post a Comment