One of my favorite things about summertime
are swim lessons.
I really don't know why I enjoy them so much.
There's just something about sitting there next to the swimming pools...in the shade...a slight breeze...
the smell of chlorine...
This year, Joshua was in Level 2 swimming and
Matthew was in Preschool 1.
Matthew took lessons last summer but didn't pass Preschool 1, because he
wouldn't put his head in the water.
This year, he cried every single day during
the first week of lessons.
He refused to try the back float and the front float.
And there was NO WAY that he was putting his face
in the water.
Two friends from church brought their kids
to the 8:30 lessons too.
They treated him with special prizes (bribes) for every single baby step that he took...
go back with your teacher by yourself...
go back with your teacher by yourself, without crying...
put your feet in the water...
walk into the water...
splash in the water...
(Thank you Kellie and Kenny!)
By the beginning of the second week, he was trying the back float and the front float without crying.
He was even putting his face in the water
and blowing bubbles.
It was a huge accomplishment for him...but he still didn't put his head in the water.
Maybe the third time in Preschool 1 is the charm.
Finally...Fun Day!
The day to show off a little of what you have learned
after two weeks of lessons.
In the water!
Face in the water!
Matthew's teacher is trying to coax him out into the middle of the pool.
Back float...
Front float...with bubbles!
Here's Josh showing us some of his very
sweet swimming skills.
His teacher complimented his
swimming abilities every day.
Josh passed Level 2!
Am I to the other side yet?!
Back stroke...
Back float...
Kicking...
Are you sure you don't want to go down the slide
with your teacher?
Nope.
He did model the life jacket for me though.
"Hey, Mom! Watch me jump in!"
For about the past month, Matthew has been
Josh's little shadow.
Most of the time, Josh is pretty patient...especially if he thinks that he is teaching him something.
There are those times, however, when he says, "Matthew! Just because I like it doesn't mean you have to like it!"
It was amazing to see how much more brave Matthew was when Josh joined him in his pool.
"Hey, Matthew. Why don't you show your mom how you can jump into the pool."
Oh no.
Not you again.
Stiff as a board!
Grandma, GG, Carrie, and William came to watch the swimmers strut their stuff.
Off to Chuck E. Cheese's to celebrate!
Matthew would only go up on stage if
Carrie would go with him.
Josh refused Matthew's invitation to sing and dance.
If you know Josh, that doesn't surprise you.
He's not much for being looked at.
Hey, wait!
Is that Josh running up there and back to claim his 30 seconds of fame?!
It is!
And I missed it!
In the end, both boys learned some lessons in trust.
Josh gained some new skills.
Matthew learned that bribery works.
Mom learned that sometimes it's "whatever it takes."
I am also learning, day-by-day, that there are a lot of things that I used to think were a big deal that really aren't.
Enjoying those lessons learned,






I love the smell of chlorine too! Way to go Matthew! I don't like to get my face in the water either! Love you all.
ReplyDeletesmooch