Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Let Them Come

I love our Nativity.
It is special for so many reasons.
My cousin and her husband gave it to us back in 2001. 
Len made the stable, and they included Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus in the manger.

For several years after that, we added important people and animals...the Angel, the Wise Men and a camel, a Shepherd, Shepherdess, and sheep, a donkey.
Even a rooster, hen, goose, duck, and turkey.
And a Water Boy.

Several years went by without an addition.
The two little shops that sold them went out of business.

This year, I decided that I would like to add someone...
or something.
After looking online, I decided that I really didn't want anymore townspeople.
And the animals were so expensive.

Then Judy, my mother-in-law, told me the story of her good friend, Carol.
Carol shops all year round for 
animals to add to her Nativity.
Animals that aren't part of the original set.
Animals that aren't to scale with the rest of the Nativity.
Animals that probably didn't get a front row seat for the Birth of Jesus.

Then I found them.
Animals of good quality.
Beautiful animals that were inexpensive but durable.

The first animal we brought home this month was the little raccoon.
He looks as though he's praying.
Joshua likes him because he looks like the raccoon that Buddy the Elf meets in the movie "Elf."
"Hi!  What's your name?"

And then...
I couldn't help myself.
When I saw this kneeling giraffe, I had to have him.





 A new tradition with endless possibilities!
 I love to think that ALL of creation yearned to welcome the Newborn King.
In our Nativity, they will get the chance.


Who knows what animal/s might join us next year...
maybe a hedgehog...a grizzly bear...an ostrich...maybe even a flamingo.

O.K.
Maybe not a flamingo.

Enjoying the Birth of our Savior,

2 comments:

  1. Nice!!! :) Merry Christmas to you and your family!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminded me of a precious memory from when Landon was just a little guy. Our nativy sat on the buffet in the dining room. Landon gathered every aninal he could find in the house and surrounded the baby Jesus with them. They were all sizes; some plastic, some stuffed. He even included some whales, his favorite animal at the time.

    Thanks for a sweet post that brought back special memories.

    ReplyDelete