It could be very possible that I love the fall of the year because that was the time of year that my mom celebrated her birthday.
October 30.
She used to tease that it was an appropriate
birthday for her, since she was so witchy.
She only teased.
I knew better.
My mom wasn't witchy at all.
She was lovely and beautiful and warm and kind.
She gave her hugs freely and gave my brother and me every reason to believe that there were no two children as loved in the world as we were.
She made our house a real home...
full of love and tradition.
It could also be very possible that traditions are so important to me because of my mom.
Several months ago, I borrowed two big boxes of family pictures from Dad.
My mission was to start scanning pictures
onto my computer.
Finally, this morning, I opened the first of those boxes hoping to find a picture to post in honor
of Mom's 69th birthday.
I wasn't disappointed.
Here is what I think is a high school picture of Mom...
maybe her junior or senior year...1959 or 1960.
I love this picture of Mom.
This is her first year of teaching...1964.
She taught the third grade for four years.
Skip ahead several years.
Mom was now a stay-at-home mom with two little ones.
I am forever thankful that my dad took on the responsibility of supporting our family so that Mom could be home with us....where her heart was.
As a farmer working at a grain elevator,
my dad worked long hard hours.
But he always came home with a smile and a song.
Heigh Ho! Heigh Ho!
It's back to teaching Mom goes!
Mom waited until Rob and I were in high school and then started working her way back into teaching.
She taught the fourth grade for several years before she died in May 1993 at the age of 50.
I don't know what year this was taken, but it was one of her last school pictures.
I can look in her eyes now and can tell that she wasn't feeling good.
Oh, Mom.
I miss you today.
I wonder what you would
have looked like at 69 years old.
Nineteen years have passed since
you turned 50 years old.
There will not be a day that I don't miss you and wonder what you would have been like.
And yet I know what you would have been like.
Now...check this out!
My dad's senior picture from 1959.
I love this picture too!
And I love you, Dad!
Enjoying family,







I know why he smiled when he came home!
ReplyDeletePaul
awww!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to meet your mom someday. She was simply beautiful. I can see where you get your inner joy...(is it ok if I imagine your mom holding Jack?)
hugs, dear one.
These pictures made me smile. She was my Sunday School teacher and I can still hear her voice telling the bible stories we loved so much and me hanging onto every word. She was an amazing woman! Thank you for sharing her with us!
ReplyDeleteRobyn Mann-Goehring