Saturday, October 1, 2011

31 Days Challenge

31 Days of Saying, "Yes!"...Day 3
31 Days of Saying, "Yes!"...Day 2

I am working on linking up to the 31 Days Series
over at The Nesting Place.
I'm having a little trouble with the linky.
Hopefully there will be more later...
-----------------------------------------------------------------
O.K.
I think I've figured out the Linky.

Last night I was catching up with Flower Patch Farmgirl and read that she is participating in a 31 Days Challenge.  I followed her 31 Days link and decided that I wanted to give it a try.

The first challenge was to find something that I would be able to blog about every single day for 31 days. I wanted to be creative, and I wanted it to have meaning.  I also wanted for it to be something different...something that would stretch my imagination.

I threw around several different ideas about simplicity, traditions, and organization...but none of those seemed like something that I would stick with.

After spending some time thinking and praying, the idea of "Saying Yes" presented itself to me.

At first, it seemed so simple and one-dimensional.
I say "No" so much easier than I say "Yes."

"Mom, can I go outside?"
"No."

"Mommy, will you play light sabers with me?"
"Not right now."

"Mom, will you get the glove box out?"
"Maybe later."

I thought of all the ways that I say "No"
to the people around me.
How I put-off until tomorrow...how I procrastinate.

Maybe I say "No" too often and too easily.

I know that there are times when the only answer is "No."

"Mom, can eat some Peanut M&M's right before supper?"
"No."

"Mom, can I skip this assignment on adverbs?"
"No."

"Mom, can I go straight to bed without brushing my teeth?"
"No."

But that's not what I'm talking about.
I'm talking about all those times that I say "No" without really thinking.
All the times that I say "No" because it is easier than saying yes.

Here's what's funny.
As I was thinking about this, I began to realize that there are two sides to the coin.


To every "Yes," there is a "No."
To every "No," there is a "Yes."

So...for the next 31 Days, I am going to be more intentional in saying "Yes."
Especially to the ones I love.
I am also going to be very aware that every time I say "Yes" to something, I am also saying "No" to something else.
And I'm going to try to remember the words of Christ in Matthew 5:37...
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.
So...here's to 31 Days of Saying, "Yes!"


Enjoying the discipline of blogging everyday,

2 comments:

  1. Love this. It really spoke to me - and made me a little sad. I remember several times I said No today and I never stopped to think how that made my little ones feel. Disappointed. I could have said yes, but was too lazy. I'm going to remember this and work on being more of a "yes" mommy.
    I'm doing 31 days of southern life - and worried I may struggle to find enough content. This is going to be tough - but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I can't wait to see where the Lord leads you in this series! Great idea :)

    I would love for you to stop by if you have time. I'm writing about 31 Days to Love your Neighbor....
    Blessings,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete