Friday, January 14, 2011

Starting Fresh

It has been so long since I have written a blog post.
A real blog post.
Not one of those like I did back in October.

A blog post where I really take the time to write about something that matters.

Every time I sit down to write, I wonder if what I have to say really matters.
I feel like I did when I wrote my very first blog post.

Three times since the New Year has begun, I have been directed to Philippians 3:13-14. Three times from three separate resources.

Is God trying to tell me something?

"Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Do I spend too much time looking back and feeling bad about all that I haven't done?

Well...YES!
I do!
I am really terrible about that!

So, as I sit in front of my blog, God's Words come to me.
How can I move on now that I've been so neglectful about recording months of family memories?

I will do what Paul has told me to do.
In the book of Philippians, Paul says to "forget what is behind and strain toward what is ahead."

Funny thing.
When I asked my Paul about how I could possibly move ahead with my blog, he gave me the same advice.
Don't look back and don't try to pick up where you left off.
Don't look back at all.
Write now...right now!

Well then.
Here it goes...

One of our favorite parts of Christmas vacation is New Year's Eve!
Everything very noticeably slows down the week after Christmas in our home.

The rush of the holidays is over.
The shopping is done.
The baking is done.
Paul has vacation from work for the week.
The house is a wreck, but it doesn't matter.

New Year's Eve is a very quiet time in our home.
I'm not sure why. I'm sure that the noise level is the same as always...maybe even a bit more amplified than usual because of the new toys and gadgets and because of how cluttered the house is.
But every year, when I think back to New Year's Eve day and evening, my memories seem hushed.
Happy and hushed.

We've started having homemade pizza and nachos each New Year's Eve.
Here is one of our creations from this year...



The Littles started their partying early!
Which was a good thing.





A very good thing.
Their New Year's Eve ended a little early.





Josh woke up for a few minutes to see the ball drop, but he didn't remember anything about it the next day.



Paul's first picture of 2011...



My first picture of 2011...
Yes, I am quite bleary-eyed. I had fallen asleep too.
But I do remember seeing the ball drop.



Carrie and William are always the New Year's Eve troopers.
They LOVE staying up late. Their goal every year is to stay up all night long.

Maybe next year. :)





So...off we go into 2011!
This has been a much-anticipated year.
A year of new beginnings in so many areas.

This will be a good year!

A year to "Forget what is behind and strain toward what is ahead, pressing on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

I am so thankful for God's mercies which are new every morning!

Lamentations 3:22-23
"Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

Enjoying the Journey,

1 comment: