Maybe not what you were expecting...
Timing is everything.
Last week was not the time.
Thursday morning was not the time.
Friday, October 3, 2008 at 7:10 PM was the time.
No sooner, no later.
Friday morning I broke the news to Joshua that Jacky, his beloved pet cricket, was not doing so well. He had slowed down the past several days and was even trying to climb the walls of the plastic container which he had called home for almost a month. He wasn't eating much and wasn't chirping at me when I turned on the light in the kitchen every morning like he used to.
I told Joshua that it was time to let Jacky go outside to find his family and friends. It was time to let him jump again.
Hysterical crying.
William then asked Josh how he would feel if he didn't get to see us for a month. Wouldn't he want to go find us?
"Oh. O.K. Tonight."
And so be it.
Friday night, Joshua found us the perfect place to release Jacky. Somewhere where there was lots of green and a place that Jack the dog, couldn't reach.
"Right here."
The release...the honors go to William.
Aaaah! Green leaves to eat! How Jacky missed his greens. I guess he was getting a little tired of Goldfish crackers and apples. Oh, and the green fuzzy peaches that he got used to because I didn't always clean out his box like I should have.
Are you going to be O.K., Jacky? Will you miss me?
"Bye Jacky Cricket."
"Don't step on Jacky!"
How funny.
I miss Jacky already.
That place on the bookshelf where he used to live looks so empty now.
And it's so quiet in the morning.
And later...around 2:00 AM.
Having to say goodbye once again.
We're doing fine now. We hear lots of crickets outside now that we have been opening our windows. Everytime we hear the chirping someone says, "Listen! It's Jacky and his family!"
I swear I heard a very familiar chirping on the front porch yesterday afternoon...
Could it be?
bye Jacky...man, I'm just amazed that he/she lived that long in a container...that is cool!
ReplyDeletedontcha love all the nighttime cricket sounds? we have one living in our sump pump closet...want me to bring him over? :) (we could have a playdate)
Ok, so maybe we will get to meet soon! I keep hoping...
Well it's about time...Does anyone else think it's weird to have a pet cricket. Afterall, I don't want my kids getting an silly notions! Just Kidding. Bye Jacky. You were such a...ummm...chirpy sort of fellow.
ReplyDeleteOff to find the cricket that has been keeping me up all night and feed him to the bearded dragon!
smooch
wv: hrledxe (reminds me of Over the Hedge)
I am sort of creeped out by crickets, or any other type of crawly-creature. However, goodbye to Jacky and may he live a long healthy life with his family.
ReplyDeletei wonder if it was him...... or just his twin brother! ha ha!
ReplyDelete--Carrie
i wonder if it was him...... or just his twin brother! ha ha!
ReplyDelete--Carrie
i don't know why it published my last comment twice!
ReplyDeleteMy husbands ring tone is a cricket...I hate it. ;)
ReplyDeleteDana
Awww... bye Jacky. Happy chirping with your cricket buds.
ReplyDeleteAnd, Jodi -- if you sign up for the field trip I just posted, you could meet Laurie... Plus you could see me! What more do you need? ;)
C
Laurie--if we have to use a cricket playdate as an excuse to meet, then I'm all for it! I was tempted the other day to go for a drive to find where you live too! Very funny! It might have been the same day that you thought about finding us!
ReplyDeleteNicky--bringing Jacky on over to your bearded dragon was a huge temptation at first. But you would be amazed at how a cricket can grow on you. Especially when the pity factor weighs in--he kept trying to jump and kept hitting the Saran. Poor thing.
Missy--you don't know how many times I would peek in his box in the morning and think that a big black spider had gotten in--only to realize that it was Jacky crawling around. Sorry--that probably gave you massive goosebumps--it did me as I typed it!
Carrie--I wonder how many twins Jacky might have...hmmmmm.....
Dana--my brother can make cricket sounds with his mouth. A wonderful talent that he used to communicate with Jacky. I could always tell that Rob was close by because of his cricket noise. It's funny that your husband has a cricket ring on his phone. Rob may need to find that ring for himself!
Charmaine--I'm heading over to check out the field trip right now! It would be wonderful to see you and to meet Laurie all in the same day! Oh! And did I mention that I'd like to know when you place an order--I might like to order some of those water bottles!