Thursday, January 25, 2018

Choose Joy!

It happened again.
Another birthday!
This time she is 22 years old.


And this 9-year-old volunteered to dot the cake.
Warning:  Do not eat the dots.
They are edible but not palatable.


My favorite cake when I was a little girl was cherry chip cake with pink frosting.  
Mom would make that for me and serve it with Peppermint Stick ice cream...
the kind that looked pink with red and green peppermint pieces that were chewy. 
Now Carrie asks for cherry chip cake for her birthday.
With chocolate frosting.
Yeah...that's pretty good too.


 We celebrated with 22 candles...most of them cake sparklers.
I think only 4 or 5 of them were lit for fear of burning down the house.


They wouldn't blow out, but Carrie made a valiant effort.



Sometimes I try to ignore the obvious.  Not because I am hard-hearted and cold, but because I don't like feeling sad. When it was brought to our attention that this would be the last birthday that Carrie would celebrate living here at home, I ignored the comment.  I didn't do it to be rude.  I ignored it, because I want to feel complete happiness in the way that God has answered prayers and is blessing this sweet girl and her fiancé.  Life is full of changes and of growing up and of letting go of the way things have been.  But like one of Paul's best friends told us on the day that Carrie was born, "You will miss all those stages of your child's life that you have enjoyed, but just remember that the next stage is so much fun!" And it is.  And as Carrie prepares to be the first arrow to be released from our bowstring (Psalm 127:4), we celebrate and place her in God's hands...something we have chosen to do every day of our lives.  We choose joy!  (Isaiah 61:3)  Happy Birthday, Carrie Jane!



SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment