Friday, July 2, 2010

Lavender Love

On Tuesday, our homeschool group took a field trip to a local lavender farm...an organic lavender farm, Willowfield, with approximately 2,000 plants covering a four-acre field. The farm includes 28 acres, many of which are woodlands providing a home to a variety of plants and animals. In October, 2001, the first 100 lavender plants were planted.




The owners, Mr. and Mrs. O'Connor, started their lavender farm as a retirement project and a labor of love. They live in the woods beside their gift shop.




William and Josh are ready for their tour.




A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!








This is their potting shed. The lavender plants in front are for sale. I haven't been brave enough yet to purchase my first lavender plant. I know that before I take that step, I need to prepare my heavy clay soil.

Mr. O'Connor said that this farm used to be a big cornfield with lots of that same heavy soil. He told us how he prepared his lavender beds.

Lots of work!






Everything about this farm is sweet.
Look at the little white butterfly enjoying the lavender.




And the Cosmos!

Mom used to plant Cosmos beside our pole building when I was a little girl.
It sure helped soften a big white metal building.










Ah...the soothing effects of lavender!






William found this chair on the porch while we were waiting for our tour to begin. He said that we just had to try it out.

And, yes. That is Matthew's cheesy smile.
He is not growling.








Mr. O'Connor is giving a brief history of lavender and telling us all the ways that lavender can be used.




I enjoyed his mannerisms and the way he spoke. He was very comfortable and easy-going. Just like you would expect a lavender farmer to be.




We enjoyed spending the morning with Grandma.

Josh is enjoying his Raspberry Lavender iced tea sweetened with honey water.

We bought a bag of tea while we were there and followed the instructions that Mr. and Mrs. O'Connor gave us for brewing the tea and for making the honey water.

It is FABULOUS!




Out to the field to learn more about harvesting!

There were bees all around the lavender plants. Mr. O'Connor told us that since he was a little behind on harvesting, there were more bees than usual. Lavender honey is quite in-demand.

I wasn't quite brave enough to go take a close look at the bee hives. He did tell us, though, that if we were to be stung by a bee, the leaf of a common weed, plantain (buckhorn), can be rubbed on the sting.






I still cannot get over what a glorious day it was!
A June day in the seventies with low humidity is very rare!








After the tour, Mr. O'Connor set us loose to explore the farm.

He said that we could look for the blackberry bushes and try some if we'd like.




Not quite black enough...








Still looking for those blackberries...




Ahhhh...the reward for perseverance!




No pucker face...




...and stained red hands!




Wildflowers!






There's another one of those busy bees...






"Come look at the little frog!"




"Awwwwwwwwwwwww!" says Matthew.

The boys tried hard to catch this little guy, but he was way too fast!
I'm just happy that nobody stomped him in the excitement of trying to catch him!




More pretties.

Did I mention that they have weddings on the farm?
I agree with Carrie...that day would have been the perfect day for a wedding at the lavender farm!




Just look at the gift shop!
See the lavender hanging from the ceiling?

Willowfield is considered a "cottage industry," so the O'Connors offer handcrafted quality merchandise in their gift shop. Many of the items in the shop are made my Mrs. O'Connor (for example the pottery and the linens) and local artisans...you really need to stop in and meet Mrs. O'Connor! What a beautiful lady! The Pretty behind the pretties!

And listen to this! In 2008, the O'Connors visited the lavender farms of Provence, France. They now also sell linens from Provence.




The boys had a grand time of running around the farm, chasing butterflies and frogs and just being boys.








Definitely a place we will frequent more often.
And who knows...your next gift from me might have a lavender theme to it!


Enjoying the Journey,

1 comment:

  1. man, these are great pix, Jodi! that place ROCKS...

    you are on a blogging extravaganza and I'm lovin' it, sister. :)

    Happy Holiday weekend to you and your precious family...

    L

    ReplyDelete