
I was on the treadmill one morning this week...
Now that's a blessing.
After what seems like years of trying to figure out the best time for daily exercise, Carrie and William have stepped in to feed the little boys their breakfasts while I use the treadmill.
Like I said...what a blessing!
I guess you would call it a blessing.
Exercise...a blessing...
Anyway...
While I'm on the treadmill, I usually get a visit or two from Josh. He just likes to check in on me...I think he likes to see what I watch on TV when he's not around. Spongebob? Max and Ruby?
I was on the treadmill one morning this week when Josh walked in with a plate. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see that he was walking very carefully. Very slowly.
"Here, Mom. This is for you. It's the part of the Lucky Charms you like. I saved them just for you."
Pant, pant..."Thanks, Josh!"
"I'll put them right here so that you can eat them."
Pant, pant, cough..."Thank you! But where are the marshmallows?"
"Oh! I ate them for you!"
Pant, sputter..."Thanks, Buddy!"
I have to be honest with you.
I wasn't sure if I get an A in parenting for that...or a D-.
He's sharing! Give that mom an A!
He ate the best part of the cereal and is pawning the rest off on his mom! Give that mom a D-!
I had some time to think about this while I was getting showered and dressed.
I realize that so much of life is about growing...maturing.
If Matthew were given a bowl of Lucky Charms, he would grab up two handfuls of them and throw them on the floor when he was finished with them. Marshmallows and all. He wouldn't put any thought into whether someone else would like the marshmallows...or the cereal.
Then there is Josh. He has moved past that stage and wants to share. Maybe not the ingredient that he likes best--but he does think to share what's left instead of flinging them onto the floor.
What about Carrie and William? They have moved on to noticing that the Lucky Charms box is feeling kind of light, so they ask if anyone wants any of the cereal before they get theirs...hoping beyond hope that everyone says no.
And me? I notice that the box is feeling kind of light; so, knowing that the kids would probably like a bowlful later, I look for something else to eat.
Most of the time.
There might be times when I quietly pour out the remainder of the cereal, stand in the kitchen while shoveling them in my mouth as quickly as possible, and then bury the box in the trash can.
Maybe.
But most of the time, I would look for something else to eat.
Then I had to wonder...how close am I to being like Jesus?
What would Jesus do with the Lucky Charms?

Not only does He want to give me the marshmallows...He wants me to ask for the marshmallows.
"God has all blessing and goodness. He desires to bless you, so when you ask for God's blessing, you are asking for exactly what He desires to give you! Matthew 7:7-8 says, 'Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.'" (AllAboutPrayer.org)
I will bless them and the places surrounding my hill. I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing. (Ezekiel 34:26)
Praying marshmallow blessings for you,
It's so interesting to hear the different levels of sharing among the different ages. Love the Lucky Charm analogy.
ReplyDeleteI have to wonder though, would God give us the marshmallows AND the cereal because he is the perfect Father and he knows the cereal part is for our good. Never know??
I love this entry Jodi! What a great thought provoker (is that a word?). I miss you. I miss your kiddos. Your blog is a blessing to me!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteAmen, Lauri!
ReplyDeleteAnd...He would probably include the milk to go in the cereal, the glass of orange juice, and maybe even a couple strips of bacon.
Bacon? Maybe not?
:)