Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Lucky Drawer

If one of the kids has something to put away, instead of just telling them to go put it away, I've tried to get in the habit of asking where they are going to put the item.

Yesterday, Joshua showed me a nickel that he had found. I asked him if he was going to keep it. He told me yes, so I asked him where he was going to put it. He told me, "In my Lucky Drawer."

Hmmm.... I've not heard of The Lucky Drawer before.

As you know, there's The Special Box, The School Drawer and The Tent. I also forgot to mention The Underwear Drawer (that's where very special items--like watches, gum and money are usually kept). But The Lucky Drawer?

I asked him where his Lucky Drawer was and he told me, "You know. In the drawer by the train table."

Oh! The School Drawer! He's just renamed his drawer. Well, O.K.

Later that day I found out why...

William had been asking me if I had found $5 when washing his jeans. I had washed both pairs and had checked all the pockets, but I hadn't found any money. He also checked all the pockets but found nothing.

Last night after dinner, I was putting some loose toys away. One of the toys belonged in the newly named Lucky Drawer. I opened the drawer, and there on top was a $5 bill.

I asked Joshua where the money had come from, and with a very sly smile he said, "From the couch!"...which was where I had put all the kids' folded laundry.



Aaaahhhh. The Lucky Drawer.

Very lucky indeed!




Does the "Finders Keepers" rule prevail in this situation?

3 comments:

  1. Aahh! I think a "trade" is what you need here. A nice shiny nickel for the crumbled up piece of paper with a 5 on it. I know my three yr old would go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cutie! he's so clever!
    and creative.
    this one keeps you hopping, does he not?
    how ARE you? I feel like our blogs are so neglected with all this facebooking (I'm talking to myself here)...glad to see you blogging! it's so comforting!
    stay warm, hope you guys are all healthy!
    Love Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is just what I needed...laughter! I love how he appropriately renamed the drawer. Thanks for sharing such a precious story.
    Love Allison

    ReplyDelete