Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Blessed Thirteen

Today, we celebrate Carrie's thirteenth birthday.



Wow.

Thirteen years. Has it really been that long since I first felt the pangs of childbirth?

Thirteen years. Has it really been that long since that momentous announcement, "It's a girl!"

Thirteen years. Has it really been that long since Paul and I first looked into that little, round, angelic face?

Thirteen years. Has it really been that long since we carried her home from the hospital to our little two-bedroom home to be greeted by excited family members and a very curious dog named Duke?

Thirteen years. Has it really been that long since I watched Paul walk her up and down the hallway, humming softly, to get her to sleep in the middle of the night?

Thirteen years. Has it really been that long since I sat rocking her to the tune of "Winnie the Pooh" as I stared into her little blue eyes?

Thirteen years. Has it really been that long since Carolyn Jane captured my heart?



Today we celebrate more than just a birthday. We celebrate the life of a very special young lady.

A friend once told us that he doesn't look at the past ages and stages and mourn because they are no more, but he enjoys and looks forward to the next ages and stages. Each one holds a magic all its own.

Boy, was he ever right.

We celebrate with Carrie as she enters the world of the teenager.

And we not only look behind at who she was, but we look ahead at who she is becoming.

It is in these next seven years that she will become a young adult.

It is in these next seven years that she will make some pretty important decisions concerning her future.

The comforting part of all of that is that she is being led by her Creator.
The One Who gave her life and Who sustains her.
The One Who loves her even more than I do (and I love her a whole bunch!).

So before you leave my blog today, will you pray with me for Carrie?

Dear Lord,
Thank You for Carrie. Thank You for the joy that she has brought us and brings us everyday. I remember that first moment of her life and think of all that has happened since then...thank You that You hold us in the palm of Your hand. Thank You that You are in control. I pray that Carrie will continue to submit to You and that she will come to You for everything. Please guide and direct her as she goes through these sometimes turbulent teen years. Protect her from the enemy of her soul. Please give her a glimpse of the future that You have planned for her. Bless her today and in all her tomorrows. I pray that You will give her the desires of her heart...those special desires that You have placed there.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen.

Thank you.

Oh! And did I mention that she's funny?



Sorry.
I needed to lighten things up a bit!

Happy Birthday, Carrie-Girl!

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh! This made me cry...good tears. :) Happy Birthday, Carrie! Its been so neat to watch you grow and mature into the beautiful woman God created you to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Mom! (and Bethany. lol)

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what to comment on first...your touching post sharing snapshots of your life with your beautiful daughter, or the hilarious photo at the end of the post! What a fun family you seem to be. My daughter and I just got a kick out of your Secret Service post too! Have your kids watched Men In Black with Will Smith? That's a fun movie with a Secret Service style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. will you be my mom?

    awesome, heartfelt, touching, beautiful post, Jodi...she is one blessed young lady to have you as her momma, pointing her daily to Christ.

    Happy Belated 13th birthday, Carrie. I don't know u but I know those around you are blessed by you. It's obvious. God bless you in these teenaged days...

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey...Life sometimes, okay a lot of times, gets in the way of the most important things I want to remember! I love you, Carrie, and Jodi....and all of you Atkinson persons over there.....
    Happy Thirteen to you, Miss carrie!
    Mrs. Sheryl

    ReplyDelete